Ainsley and I spent this past weekend enjoying some quality daddy and daughter time. We had a blast! She didn't miss mommy very much at all.
The secret was to keep her nice and busy, which surprisingly wasn't as tough as I thought. I mean, walking down the street can take a half an hour, if you stop to pick up sticks, admire each blade of grass, sit on random neighbor's steps, etc. We got super lucky in that a bunch of mini cars sponsored by the body shop up the street drove by us on their way to a parade. Talking about the mini-cars provided some endless fascination. It also brought out some neighbors for us to play with-always a good thing!
Not even rain on Saturday morning could slow us down. After taking our time with breakfast, getting dressed, etc. we decided to go to the park, only to have the heavens open up the minute we stepped on to the porch. No worries, we diverted to the basement and played down there for a while. And in true daddy spirit, as soon as the rain let up we loaded up the BOB and went to the park anyway! I figured that the park (I should say tot lot) would be empty and we can always wash wet sand off and change damp clothes somewhat easily, and I was right. We even had a nice surprise when our neighbors John and Sebastian joined us. Two kids with the tot lot to themselves on daddy's watch? Now that is a good time!
Later Saturday we had a great visit from Brad and Sachi. We haven't seen them in a while and it is always great to catch up with good friends. Sachi moves so fast and is so adorable! She and Ainsley had some fun together and are pretty cute too! Somehow I managed to get them both in the pink bucket long enough to take this picture with my phone. First try, mind you!
I booked us solid on Sunday to keep the momentum going. We started by a nice run in the BOB followed by a trip to Jewel for a donut for Ainsley and a Sunday paper for daddy. As expected, the cake donut was just a vehicle for frosting and sprinkles. She pretty much just at the top and left the rest. I only had one bite I swear. I even managed to take a quick post-run shower while she played in her room!
From there we went out on the town. First we went to see Max at the car wash. In case you haven't heard, Ainsley loves going to the car wash to "see Max". Despite a name that to me makes him sound old, he is a young guy who has always thought Ainsley was adorable. Come on, he's got a point! Now little Ms. Thing goes in all excited to see Max and clams up the minute she gets in the place! It is really cute and gives him a good laugh and us something to do.
Next was the big trip to Day in our Village. Here is where the real difference between daddy and mommy comes in. She sat in the stroller while we walked to nearly every booth! We walked around for 45 minutes and she didn't say a word, just occasionally looking around but totally content to just chill. Jen said she would never do that for her! After that, we treated ourselves to lunch at Chipotle where the black beans, cheese and chicken were, as expected, a hit.
Only while waiting the extra two hours for Jen's delayed flight to arrive did she lose it and cry for mommy. She did make it to the airport and was so excited to run up and give mommy a big hug. I was excited too.
Conclusions? Not only is being primary care giver exhausting mentally and physically, you can't get anything done! Laundry? Ha. Dishes? Maybe. Paint the windows and front stairs, which I desperately need to do? Yeah right. Oh well, those things can wait. I was having too much fun. It was great to get the chance to run the show and it was even better that it was such a success.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
You're an awesome daddy, Scott!!! What fun for the 2 of you! BTW, let her "help" with the laundry and you might be able to get at least one load done...not folded, but at least washed and dried. Put a stool next to the machine and let her help you load the clothes in, maybe even pour the detergent. She'd also probably love helping to load the dryer. Miles still loves to help me do the laundry!
Post a Comment