Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Octogans, Train Spottings, and Accessories




Month 20 has been awesome. Ainsley is a great playmate. She has a fantastic sense of humor and always keeps us guessing.

Given her lack of patience in the car from being restricted, as she screams, "tight," I figured we'd talk some more about how traffic works, why I have to stop, etc. This helped calm her frustration some, and she soon became obsessed with pointing out every stop sign and calling, "octagon" and "stop." I'm not making this up. She has no interest in saying "circle or square"...we may get "heart" now and then...but her favorite shape, hands down, is octagon. She equally enjoys yelling,"green, go, weeeeeee!!!"

Now that the weather has thawed some, we've resumed our walks by the animal shelter, peering in windows to see the kittens and puppies, and then going to the walking bridge over 290 to watch the CTA trains zoom under us. Usually, Ainsley vigorously waves as the trains get close, and an obliging train conductor waves out his/her window and toots the whistle. Ainsley goes nuts and reenacts the waving and whistling for daddy when we get home. I enjoy the whole experience just as much, seeing it all through her eyes.

Like so many toddler girls, she's discovered the fun of accessories. Sun glasses are most exciting, followed by necklaces and bracelets, followed by hats. Tutus were always top dog...but now that the world of girly-ness is expanding, they've taken a back seat.

Her verbal communication is getting so impressive, I regularly reel when hearing a phrase or full sentence. I'm trying to remember that just because she can now ask me for something, it doesn't mean I have to give it to her...but it's so hard not to...

In short, life is good. The Avers' are happy. Scott will finish up his MBA this month (CONGRATS!) and my business is doing really well. We look forward to a few get aways this spring and summer -- the Dells with old friends, time with the Rauser's in Scottsdale, a week with Nana and Papa in NV (and a visit from them in May), and celebrating my mom's retirement from 35 years of teaching -- and I've got a Jen and Amy weekend planned in NYC over my b-day. And of course, Baby Van Howe will soon be on his or her way; we are thinking of Farah, Jim and Ellie on a daily basis -- any day now!

No comments: