Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Discipline


Alright, people...it's begun, and I'm struggling. A couple of weeks ago, Ainsley discovered how to gag herself. Initially, I figured she was exploring. Her teeth were bothering her, so why not let her have some esophageal fun. More recently, she been gagging to the point of near reflux and gets the watery eyes. It's disgusting. So yesterday, I had had it. I told her "no" forcefully, told her why it isn't good to gag oneself, it's "owe-wee" and "not nice"...and she laughed at me. My intensity was new to her and she found it amusing, so the gagging increased. Today I tried ignoring her again and she went off into the corner, looked at me, started crying, and pulled another gag. Any suggestions, educators, aunties and uncles, and more seasoned parents?

And then there are the diapering and dressing battles. She's getting smarter and more independent, which are all good things, I realize...but it is hard to know how much pressure to exert and how much exploring and testing to allow.

Among our non-disciplinary updates, she is really enjoying making us laugh with mimicking sounds and expressions, trying to jump, walking backwards, stomping her feet quickly, initiating games and her favorite songs and letting us all know when it is not the song or game she intended us to play, "No!"....

Human development is awesome. I just wished I had paid attention (or less attention) in those meditation classes I took. Need to learn to breathe and take it all in more. It's amazing to see this little person running around (and sometimes running) our house.

3 comments:

Earth Muffin said...

Personally, I would continue to let her know why the gagging is not good for her, but ignore her when she does it. Eventually, she'll find it uncomfortable enough to stop doing it. The other independence issues? Just hang in there, this is the tip of the iceberg! When you can, be sure to allow enough time for tantrums and/or exploring when it comes to dressing and diapering, maybe even give her a "job" to do in regards to those tasks: getting the wipes, picking out her own clothes (Within reason, of course, never give her more than 2 choices or you'll be there forever!) When a little one feels like they have some control over a situation, they are more cooperative.

karen said...

Excellent advice, Earth Muffin!

Unknown said...

This is amazing! I didn't learn how to gag myself until my eating disorder was fully developed in the 7th grade. Ainsley is soooo ahead of the curve. :)

Once again, congratulations on your unbelievable patience, Jenny. I am in awe.