Friday, August 14, 2009

Toddler Time




We've had a great and busy summer. Just last week Ainsley and I spent time with Kim, Skylar and Parker Swanson at the Morton Arboretum, and we really enjoyed it; You go, big salt company -- for anyone who hasn't been (with or without kids), I give it 5 stars on a 4 star scale. When Kim took it upon herself (cause she's a super mom) to grab food for all of us while I watched the three cuties, I have to admit that I started to physically sweat after 10 minutes, wondering what I would do if any of them decided to lose it. To my relief, and what should be no surprise, the three sweeties were perfectly sweet. Though it did again build my respect for all of you out there who manage more than one child at a time and do so with such calm and finesse!

We also had our nieces, Molly and Zoe, and nephew, Tommy over for four days. We made it to Kiddie Land, the Courtyard in Rolling Meadows for some pool time, and hung out with neighbors for a hot and humid (but fun filled) block party. Ainsley was overwhelmed but loved the attention and slept well and long for all of her naps and evening sleep! The kids decided that Ainsley's nicknames would be "sweaty bananas" when they were in silly moods, and "cutie bananas" for most outings.

So today, and for the title of this post, I have to share that Ainsley is increasingly showing us her toddler prowess. Thinking all doors were appropriately closed when I went to grab a diaper, Ainsley managed to sneak into the bathroom and plop our fan remote into the toilet. From just steps away, I heard the Ker-plop and knew some object had hit toilet bottom. The remote is still drying out, and luckily, she didn't get herself in the potty head first (per her typical pool side acrobatics), but I realized we are fully engaging in toddler-hood now. She is trying out her grumpy and frustrated faces; she is saying "nah-nah" for no-no with glee as she looks at me and reminds me what is touchable and what isn't...usually while she touches it; and she's generally REALLY funny. She likes to pull a Marilyn Monroe (g version) by standing over the AC vents and going "whooo hoo" and crouching up and down over the air; and she has been trying to help me wipe up messes with kleenex and other towels around the house. She is growing up!!!

2 comments:

Earth Muffin said...

The age she's at now is one of my favorite stages that little ones go through! Have fun!

Miles once dropped an entire roll of toilet paper in the toilet, then took it out and put it back in the basket from where he'd gotten it. It took half the day before we noticed because he'd done it in the upstairs bathroom that doesn't get used very often. Toilets are fascinating to the babes...until potty-training begins.

karen said...

Oh...what a dickens! The fan remote in the toilet!