Saturday, February 14, 2009

Is Your Baby Turning Orange?

Valerie, Scott and I, protective of anything to do with Ainsley, assured some observers that Ainsley was not jaundice, but Sicilian....After a friend of Val's, a pediatric nurse, suggested Ainsley might be ingesting lots of beta-carotene, and hence a slight orange-glow, we all decided to take notice. And yes...given Scott's best intentions-- one food for a week or so, we realized, the poor kid has been eating nothing but beta-carotene for the past couple of weeks (even the spinach and potatoes had trace amounts). So yes...we turned our baby slightly orange -- a Johnny Depp-as-Willy-Wonka-oompa-loompa orange. Poor baby. So we've omitted the beta carotene for a while and she seems to be returning to her rosy hue.

1 comment:

Earth Muffin said...

That's interesting. I've never heard of that happening before. Glad she's returning to her non-Oompa Loompa state! Though I'm sure she was just as adorable orange as she is her normal color. Save any pictures you've taken for her teen years when she may be inclined to use fake-tanning products!